Tuesday, August 08, 2017


In a story by Robert Louis Stevenson he relates sitting on a pile of rocks resting after a rigorous walk, when a beggar woman approached him and they began a warm conversation. Then came along a young Englishman who was an evangelist. Here he tells what happened next.


  "I had been noticing the approach of a tall man, with a high white hat and darkish clothes. He came up the hill at a rapid pace, and joined our little group with a sort of half-salutation. Turning at once to the woman, he asked her in a business-like way whether she had anything to do, whether she were a Catholic or a Protestant, whether she could read, and so forth; and then, after a few kind words and some sweeties to the child, he dispatched the mother with some tracts about Biddy and the Priest, and the Orangeman’s Bible. I was a little amused at his abrupt manner, for he was still a young man, and had somewhat the air of a navy officer; but he tackled me with great solemnity. I could make fun of what he said, for I do not think it was very wise; but the subject does not appear to me just now in a jesting light, so I shall only say that he related to me his own conversion, which had been effected (as is very often the case) through the agency of a gig accident, and that, after having examined me and diagnosed my case, he selected some suitable tracts from his repertory, gave them to me, and, bidding me God-speed, went on his way."

  This struck me as the way much evangelism is done today, with little thought for the welfare of people, but with a steadfast determination to "share the gospel."  

No comments: