Friday, June 23, 2017


  "What a large volume of adventures may be grasped within this little span of life, by him who interests his heart in everything; and who, having eyes to see what time and chance are perpetually holding out to him as he journeyeth on his way, misses nothing he can fairly lay his hands on!
I pity the man who can travel from Dan to Beersheba, and cry -- "Tis all barren." And so it is; and so is all the world to him who will not cultivate the fruit it offers.

"I declare," said I, clapping my hands cheerfully together, "that were I in a desert, I would find out wherewith in it to call forth my affections. If I could do no better, I would fasten them upon some sweet myrtle, or seek some melancholy cypress to connect myself to. I would court their shade, and greet them kindly for their protection. I would cut my name upon them, and swear they were the loveliest trees throughout the desert; if their leaves withered, I would teach myself to mourn; and when they rejoiced, I would rejoice along with them." Sterne. 

No comments: