Monday, January 16, 2017



  "Because of the devastation of the afflicted, because of the groaning of the needy, Now I will arise," says the Lord; "I will set him in the safety for which he longs." 

  In preparation for a sermon on Jeremiah 29:11, I ran across this verse of hope in Psalms 12:5
In the eight years I've worked with those in recovery from substance abuse, I have never met one person that came from an intact, loving, nurturing Christian home. I think I have talked to over three hundred people in recovery, and of course I always ask about their childhood. Without exception, they all shared the experience of childhood trauma, either divorce, abuse, in all of its devastating forms, whether verbal, physical or sexual assault. This will be a verse I commit to memory.

Painting of "Raising of the Daughter of Jairus"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the MSG version of this verse:

Psalm 12:5The Message (MSG)
Into the hovels of the poor,
Into the dark streets where the homeless groan, God speaks:
“I’ve had enough; I’m on my way
To heal the ache in the heart of the wretched.”