Sunday, July 10, 2016


"When I come to the New Testament, I feel myself in the Gospels, confronted by the most wonderful Personality which has ever drawn breath upon the earth. The more conscious I am of the lack of subtlety, the absence of trained historical method that the writers display, the more convinced I am of the essential truth of the Person and teaching of Christ, because He seems to me a figure so infinitely beyond the intellectual power of those who described Him to have been invented or created. The words and sayings of Christ, the ideas which He disseminated, seem to me so infinitely above the highest achievements of the human spirit, that I have no difficulty in confessing, humbly and reverently, that I am in the presence of One Who seems to me to be above humanity, and not only of it. If all the miraculous events of the Gospels could be proved never to have occurred, it would not disturb my faith in Christ for an instant. Dealing with the rest of the New Testament, I see in the Acts of the Apostles a deeply interesting record of the first ripples of faith in the world. In the Pauline and other epistles one has amazing instances of the effect produced, of the same overwhelming Personality, the Personality of Christ. I claim a Christian liberty of thought, while I acknowledge, with bowed head, my belief in God the Father of men, in a Divine Christ, the Redeemer and Savior, and in the presence in the hearts of men of a Divine Spirit, leading humanity tenderly forward.  Arthur Christopher Benson. 


  I love this profession of faith: I love his sentiments and the way he describes his gushing admiration for Christ. His first line captured me right away, because it best describes the feelings I had when I first  came under the spell of Christ. I was, and am, swept away in total admiration when confronted with Christ and His ways of love and truth. 

No comments: