Monday, February 04, 2013

Rita



   As I entered the nursing home dining room, where the Lord graces and turns into a sanctuary as we seek Him, there sat Rita.
 Rita was a new face to me; she had moved in since last I visited. She was a physically and mentally challenged woman, about forty I suspect, so petite, and as I greeted her she responded with the most delightful voice. Her girlish charm immediately captured my heart as her face spread with smiles.
 As I approached her I had such a sense of God’s presence that I could feel my face flush and a gush of fondness permeated my heart. I’ve come to recognize these rare experiences, and where once I may have hesitated, I now take it as the unheard voice of God to act and prepare for a loving connection. I was almost giddy with anticipation and kind of stumbled over my words with eager expectation. Truly I was charmed. She was outgoing and blended her conversation with humor and candor. I asked her about her faith which she enthusiastically shared and before the visit came to an end she asked if she could sing to me Rock of Ages in a weak and off key voice; it was wonderful! This brought her memory to the loss of her mother and she began to weep and ask for my prayers. I prayed for her all the while she wept and quietly sobbed. I held her hand and stroked her brow resisting the urge to just scoop her up in an embrace. I’m forever changed by these moments spent with the least of His. 

No comments: