Saturday, January 05, 2013

Warm me




  I read something from John Henry Newman today that my heart resonated with. He gives a brief explanation why he believes in God in the midst of a world so full of lamentation.

  “Were it not for this voice, speaking so clearly in my conscience and my heart, I should be an atheist, or a pantheist, or a polytheist when I looked into the world.
I am speaking for my self only; and I am far from denying the real force of the arguments in proof of a God, drawn from the general facts of human society, but these do not warm me or enlighten me; they do not take away the winter of my desolation, or make the buds unfold and the leaves grow within me, and my moral being rejoice. The sight of the world is nothing else than the prophet’s scroll, full of “lamentations, and mourning, and woe.”  

No comments: