Monday, January 12, 2009

The Holy Scriptures

I read the following poem from my new book "Treasures New and Old", and I really like it, although I don’t understand it all.
He is speaking to the mystery and secrets of the scriptures -
their glory, and how they find us out, speak to us and point the way to
destiny and eternal life.

"Oh, that I knew how all thy lights combine,
And the configurations of their glory!
Seeing not only how each verse doth shine,
But all the constellations of the story.
This verse marks that, and both do make a motion
Unto a third that ten leaves off doth lie.
Then, as dispersed herbs do make a potion,
These three make up some Christian's destiny.
Such are thy secrets, which my life makes good,
And comments on thee. For in everything
Thy words do find me out, and parallels bring,
And in another make me understood.
Stars are poor books, and oftentimes do miss:
This book of stars lights to eternal bliss."
George Herbert.

Here is a quote with similar content –

"In the Bible there is more that finds me than I have experienced in all other books put together; the words of the Bible find me at greater depths of my being; and whatever finds me brings with it an irresistible evidence of its having proceeded from the Holy Spirit." S. T. Coleridge.

Photo by Metin Demiralay

1 comment:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Fred :)

An excellent photo and an inspiring post with deep insight into the Word of God.

Many thanks for sharing.

Best wishes :)