Friday, October 17, 2008


Last night was the night we went to see Celine Dion with the free tickets my wife got from her work. I rarely go to concerts, 25 years ago I went to see Ray Charles, he was absolutely perfection, at the top of his vocal game, and each song sounded like the record. But I have been to a few concerts where I left wishing I had stayed home and listened to the CD because the studio versions were far better with their mixing magic applied to the vocals.
Suffice to say, this was not the case with Celine, I doubt I will ever hear her any better than I did last night. Some artists are enlivened by the crowd and I felt this was so with Celine. The entire performance was sensational, the moving stage which raised and lowered people up and down. A moving escalator like track that the dancers and Celine used for great effect. The sound, one could only dream of hearing music like that anywhere but a concert hall. Such a powerful display, with all the magic of show-business. But, all of that pales in comparison to her volcanic vocals. From the moment she took that stage till the last curtain call, her powerful voice rang across the arena singing all my favorite hits with such energy, magnetism, and thunder, that it was as if each song had a new vitality the likes of which I have never heard. What a show, what a voice. When she sang the last line in “Can’t Live”, as the music came to a stop, a complete stillness hushed the auditorium and she began to reach for notes that few have ever reached, I was brought to the verge of tears. Such musical drama steaming like a flood out of this talented woman left me in an emotional trance and the after glow has lasted all day. I doubt, had I not been blessed with the free tickets, that I would have ever seen her; but now having seen her, it may well be worth saving up to see her once in your life. I doubt I will soon forget it.

4 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Fred :)

Celine Dion is one of my favourite singers. Her vocals are fantastic. I like most of her songs.

I'm glad you were able to watch her live show and enjoy it.

Best wishes :)

Mel said...

I am so glad you had such a great time! Did your wife enjoy it as well? Celine Dion is without question one of the most gifted vocalists of our time. God has truly blessed her with talent and favor. I'm happy for you and your wife that you were blessed with such a treat! :) Praise God!

MaryMGlynn said...

that is wonderful.God sure gave some people gifts. How awesome for you Fred!!!

FCB said...

Hi Joseph, I agree her vocals are fantastic! I have to say, with the concert level volume, she even sounds better. Had it been one decimal higher in volume, I would have had to put cotton in my ears. I was thrilled that she sang nearly all of my favorites.
Such fun.


He Mel,
Yes, my wife loved it! She is so fun-loving, and so house bound, that it could have been anyone and she would enjoy it, but Celine is one of her favorite singers so we were like two kids seeing our first Moving Picture.

Hi Mary,
You know, whe she was singing and hit some of those impossible notes, I felt as though she was as amazed as we were. I think she knows this is a gift and although I don't keep up much on the tabloids, it seems as though she has been spared all the scandals.
I think she has a good heart. Hope so.
Love Fred