Friday, September 12, 2008

Social Worship



While away on business I read this piece and was so taken by his practical encouragement. I can't remember when I've read a quote this short that says so much about living out our faith in the practical good deeds God urges us to fulfill. I like the emphasis he puts on each of us as unique and necessary duties God created us for.

"Be assured that if thou failest, none other -- not nature, nor man, nor angel, nor Creator- will render the service or bestow the love due from thee. According to thine opportunity, thou must be the strength of the weak, the refuge of the sorrowful. Thou must have compassion on those within thy reach who are worn with toil; thou must defend and cherish the young, bless and support the aged, welcome strangers who come thy way; comfort those who are distressed in mind, body, or estate; extend thy mercy to the oppressed, and especially to those who suffer injustice or are persecuted for righteousness' sake. By strength of character thou art to help in saving the vicious. And by the sweet mystery of love it will be thy privilege to soothe into peace the spirit of the dying. All this thou must be and do. Thy deficiencies and imperfections offer no ground for exemption, for they will themselves be overcome and dissolved in the redemptive work that waits for thee." Stanton Coit, Social Worship. 1857

Christians with this attitude not only put wealth into the treasury of Christ, but find the world saying the words of Job 29:11-17. - "Whoever heard me spoke well of me, and those who saw me commended me." My heart wells up to see this young man serving this distressed man; he has received Godly council from good parents or mentors.

I don't know who the photographer was, a pity, he has an eye for the most excellent things.

2 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Fred!

I am very glad that you have come back from Las Vegas and started posting.

Very inspiring post which reminds each one us our duty and responsibility as Christians.

Very often we forget the basic things we have to do as followers of Christ. Your post is a powerful pointer.

Job is one of my favourite reading from the BIBLE and for long I have not read it. Your post serves as a timely reminder. Thanks.

Have a wonderful day!

FCB said...

Hi Joseph,
Thanks for the welcome back, it's good to be home and catch up on your blog as well. It is often that we forget the basics or it may be our natures are so bent on self seeking that each reminder seems new and fresh? All I know is I need continual reminders and count it very fortunate that God has moved men and women to write inspiring things.
God bless,
Fred