Saturday, March 29, 2008

Satan's Devices to Keep Saints in a sad, doubting questioning & uncomfortable condition.


"One remedy against this device of Satan is, Constantly to keep one eye upon the promises of remission of sin, as well as the other eye upon the inward operations of sin.

This is the most certain truth, that God would graciously pardon those sins to his people that he will not in this life fully subdue in his people.
Paul prays thrice (i.e. often), to be delivered from the thorn in his flesh. All he can get is ‘My grace is sufficient for thee’; I will graciously pardon that to thee that I will not conquer in thee, saith God. ‘And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me, and whereby they have transgressed against me, I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins’ (Jer. 33.8, Is. 43. 25),
Ah! You lamenting souls, that spend your days in sighing and groaning under the sense and burden of your sins, why do you deal so unkindly with God, and so injuriously with your own souls, as not to cast an eye upon those precious promises of remission of sin which may bear up and refresh your spirits in the darkest night, and under the heaviest burden of sin?”

Here he adds this footnote – “It is a sign that sin hath not gained your consent, but committed a rape upon your souls, when you cry out to God. If the ravished virgin under the law cried out she was guiltless (Deut. 22.27) so when sins plays the tyrant over the soul, and the soul cries out, it is guiltless; those sins will not be charged upon your soul.” Thomas Brooks (1608-1679)

I interpret the Lion as our fierce defender who protects and gives refuge.



No comments: